Monday, September 17, 2012

Don't Worry- Be Happy

Sara Rimer's expository essay The Biology of Emotion-And What it May Teach Us about Helping People to Live Longer (2011) that happier people will be healthier than people who aren't happy both in childhood and in adulthood. In this piece, the writer support her hypothesis by giving the research from multiple doctors. She also starts with children and works her way to adulthood. Rimer's purpose is to show that their emotions has an enormous consequence for their health in adulthood in order to present that they could live longer and healthier. The author's audience seems to center on other doctors but also to unhappy people who may be going through severe health issues.

I related to the essay in the sense that I believe that if you are depressed and down all the time then you're not going to feel one hundred percent while going through. I go through many issues myself and I notice when I'm the saddest about my situation that when the pain is the most unbearable. When it seems that things are going downhill constantly, your health is the next thing to go. I also believe that people go through emotional roller coasters and then they turn to something to supplement that emotion. After relying on that supplement for an extended amount of time (for example alcohol) then you're will try and over compensate for that supplement or no longer try to match it and start to fail you. Another example is when I had a horrible break up, I gained almost 20 pounds. Being down for so long and having that extra weight on me, I began having major health problems. I was at the doctor almost every week. As time went along and I began to get over my depression the weight started to come off and my doctor visit became fewer. In the end, I believe highly that one emotoins and out look for tied in with their health. When one starts to look at life more brightly, I beleive that gives your body the energy it needs to fight against those illnesses.

No comments:

Post a Comment